Will Admiral Make a Difference?

As Waterhouse FC continue to toil in the vineyard, recently appointed Head Coach Glendon Admiral Bailey believes his team is now at the turning point of their Red Stripe Premier League campaign.

Bailey, who took over the reins at the Drewsland-based club almost two months ago, was brought in to foil their battle against relegation, after Marvin Tate was relieved of his duties some 13 games into the season.

Though only registering two wins and one draw from his seven outings in charge thus far, the bold Admiral is hoping to strike with lethal force as his desperate team crafts the great escape.

A convincing 3-0 beating of Arnett Gardens at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex on Sunday has set the Fire house team ablaze with confidence, as they are a mere two points away from avoiding the drop zone.

Goals by Romario Campbell (69th minute) and substitutes Kemar Beckford (63rd) and Irvino English (81st) earned them three valuable points which pushed them up to 18 in 11th position on the 12-team standing.

This is definitely a good platform to build on. I told them before the game that this can be our turning point of the season, all we have to do is just go out there and show the character and come out with a good result.

If I tell you that I expected us to beat Arnett Gardens by three goals I would be lying. But I know we would have done well and the confidence in the team has paid off,” Bailey told the Jamaica Observer in a post-game interview.
Promoted outfits Maverley-Hughenden and Jamalco FC, as well as former champions Harbour View, all on 20 points, are now within their sights.

From here we just want to accumulate as much points as possible; there are a lot of points out there to get and it is not over, by any means. We just have to keep working and believe in ourselves; but this is a good starting point and we just have to build on this, we can't be laid back, the tactician added.

Bailey, who has two league titles to his credit, underlined that although Sunday's performance was by no means something to brag about, there were a lot of positives to take into account.

I wouldn't say it was excellent, but good. I think the players really applied themselves tactically and technically and that is all I have been asking them from I came…. to just trust me and trust the system and give us some more effort, energy and fight, and we saw that.

We definitely dominated the midfield and we got our chances and we put them away. I think we could have created more damage but that is the nature of the game. I am very pleased with how we played as a unit with a whole lot of spirit and fight, Bailey noted.

Equipped with a balanced team of youth and experience, Bailey has acquired the services of former Arnett Gardens front man Neicko Engine Williams and another upcoming Jungle-bred star in Javoni Badge Simms.

Both were thrown into battle against the South St Andrew club, with Williams relishing the opportunity to prove a point against his former employers.

As a coach being in this thing for a while, I have always known that when a player comes from a club there must be a reason why he left, so he is going to have more vigour and more energy to play against his former club.
That was always the plan with Neicko Williams and he really came with the spark and the energy which lifted the team, so we are pleased that it worked in our favour,” said Bailey.

Simms is another good player and I think he will assist us very well; he didn't get enough playing time today but with that being said, I think he is still not where I want him to be in terms of fitness. So once I get him peaking, I think he will provide the same kind of sparks that Williams did, the coach ended.

Waterhouse will have a grand opportunity to make one step up with their next assignment being against Harbour View on Sunday.