Tivoli a Gwaan good ...

Dipping in the transfer market fi try and catch Mobay U

Tivoli Gardens are looking to bolster their Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) squad with one or two players during the January transfer window, which opened on Sunday.

The West Kingston-based outfit enjoyed a good run last year and are currently in second position on 32 points, three behind leaders Montego Bay United (35). They have won 10 games, drawn twice and suffered five losses in their 17 league games. They have scored a league high 27 goals and conceded 14 times.

However, coach Omar Edwards, who took over from Glendon 'Admiral' Bailey last summer says there could be additions to the team.

"I understand that one or two players are interested in joining the team," said Edwards.

One of those players is Rodico Wellington, who started the season at promoted Maverley-Hughenden.

TGIt look like man vex a Maverly or them ready fi offload that's why TG going digging there first.

Coach of Maverley-Hughenden FC men's senior team Anthony Patrick is not afraid to give young talent a chance. He did it during stints at Waterhouse.

Now, after three weeks in charge at neighbouring Maverley-Hughenden, he is looking to add youth players to the roster during the January transfer market.

"This is me. I won't change. I always try to put schoolboys in the Maverley system, once they have the quality. It is not about age, I have played a few 16-year-olds in the league," Patrick said.

Patrick is a renowned youth coach who guided Bridgeport High to Manning Cup schoolboy titles in 2001 and 2006 as well as the Walker Cup Knockout title in 2001 and shared the Olivier Shield with Glenmuir High in 2006.

He went to Waterhouse and took several Bridgeport stars such as Darren Mattocks, Kenardo Forbes, Andre Clennon, Theo Brown and others.

They have all went on to represent Jamaica at youth and senior levels.

Mattocks currently represents Portland Timbers in the USA Major League Soccer (MLS).

When Patrick was hired on December 6, Maverley had played 14 games in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) and were on 13 points.

Three games later, the promoted team has risen from 10th position to seventh on 20 points, just two off sixth place Arnett Gardens in the race for a top sixth finish.

"It's a possibility that we can get there. Anything can happen," Patrick said about the team's chances of contending for the championship title.

"We have some teams to play twice, and some teams at the top will drop points. The teams in the top four can be vulnerable at this time. We are here to compete, not just participate," he added.

"With five games remaining in the second round, our goal is getting at least nine more points. That would put us in a good position entering the third and final preliminary round," Patrick calculated.

Patrick will be looking to bolster it with 10 players when the window reopens next week.

"We are looking at bringing in about six senior players, who are also young plus four quality schoolboys players to fill positions when the window opens in January," he said, adding that no names would be disclosed at this time.

"We just have to continue working, pushing the team for each game," Patrick who saved Water House from relegation last season but was replaced by Marvin Tate, concluded.