Memory Lane for Legends

Well deserved honour for 'Diggy' Henry
By Adrian Frater, Western Bureau
COME THIS AFTERNOON, a Rusea's High School past student group will be staging a football extravaganza in Lucea to honour the school's long-serving coach, Emerson 'Diggy' Henry, for 20 years of unbroken service to the school.

Without even looking at the excitement this game is expected to provide, I would like to congratulate the organizers of this game for this noble gesture of showing gratitude for Henry's contribution in helping to make Rusea's High school a household name in Jamaica.

When Henry took over the Rusea's team in 1983, the school had never won any schoolboy title, let alone the daCosta Cup. Today however, 20 years on, the school have copped that coveted title seven times and also bagged the Olivier Shield and Ben Francis on a few occasions.

In fact, based on the dazzling record of the Rusea's team in the 1980s, during which they won five of their seven daCosta Cup titles, there is no question that Rusea's was the most successful schoolboy team of that decade and Henry stood unchallenged as the best of the schoolboy coaches.

I think honouring Henry at this time also holds additional significance. Henry, who narrowly escaped death recently when he was shot seven times by gunmen who ambushed Mount Salem team officials after one of the team's training sessions, needs to be told in no uncertain manner that his contribution to the school is much appreciated.

Looking at the highlight of Henry's coaching career, one can't help but reflect on his 1985 team which created history by becoming schoolboy football's first 'grand slam' winners by bagging the daCosta Cup, the Ben Francis Cup, Olivier Shield and the now defunct Nutrament Shield.

In looking at some of the players who have benefitted from Henry's coaching prowess, it is not far from a 'who is who' in national football.

The likes includes 'nationals' such as Linton Stewart, Kenneth Gaynor, Michael Graham, Caple Lawrence, Donald Hewitt, Mark `Hagler` Wilson and current national captain, Aaron Lawrence.

In so far as this afternoon's games are concerned, it should provide a chance to look at what Rusea's will have on offer this year when the current daCosta Cup team match skills with their Herbert Morrison counterparts in the curtain raiser.

The second game, which will see a Rusea's team of the 80s matching their counterparts of the 90s, should bring back a great deal of nostalgia to the fans.

As an ardent fan of the football of the 80s and 90s, I am definitely looking forward to watching the feature game. I definitely want to see how much of the magic of their schoolboy days players such as Gaynor, Edward Campbell, Hewitt, Troy Malcolm, Loxley Reid and Graham have retained.

Based on reliable information, Henry still has three of the seven bullets that struck him in body. However, the source said he is now able to move around and will be at the game to watch his former charges match their skills against each other.

As a token of respect for Henry and his enviable achievements at Rusea's, I think all true fans of football in western Jamaica should go out and support this game. Frankly speaking, I think it makes far more sense to honour a person when he or she is around to appreciate it.