Captain's Funeral

In life, Captain Horace Garfield Burrell effortlessy endeared people to himself. In death, his allure kept its magnetism, as thousands flocked to the National Arena to bid a final farewell to one of Jamaica's finest sons a man of few equals, a man of impeccable vintage and unquestionable character.

Burrell, who lost his valiant battle with prostate cancer on June 6 in the USA, was eulogised as a visionary leader, astute businessman, Jamaican patriot, devoted family man, and a gentleman of refined taste.

These colourful tributes for the former head of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) were not just words coined to paint him in a glorious light. Everything said of the inimitable Burrell was true and honest and flowed from the purest part of the human souls that regaled him.

No doubt, Jamaica has parted ways with a giant among men.

Burrell was 67.

Recognised as the patriarch of modern Jamaican football, Burrell's larger than life attitude, steely determination, and commitment to cause complete the legacy he leaves behind.

But more importantly, he was a champion of his people and loved his country almost to a fault, and his service in their interest goes beyond measure.

However, it was in football that he made his mark. Apart from his family, Captain Burrell loved nothing more.

And though he was at home walking the corridors of the game's power brokers, it was with the business of Jamaica's football that had his heart in a tight knot. He could not break free even if he wanted to. He was hooked.

His signature achievement of leading Jamaica to the promised land of the FIFA World Cup in France 1998 has immortalised him. Captain Burrell is now woven in the fabric of what is great about this spot of land in the Caribbean Sea.

Horace Burrell was not a man who settled for average, he used to say to me, Coach, you only live once, so you must live in first class. 'He was determined to be the best at everything he did. When he took over the JFF, he set his eyes towards goals no one had achieved before, shared former Reggae Boyz technical director and Burrell's Road to France co-agitator, the Brazilian Rene Simoes.

I wasn't available in Brazil, but he convinced me to move to Jamaica with my family to work day and night to support the Road to France programme. He always stands strong by his vision, even through the hardest criticism. Excellence was mandatory for him and he liked everything to be top of the line... and he did live a top of the line life, the Brazilian went on.

Simoes, who became very close friends with Burrell since their paths first intertwined in 1994, remembered the man as a purveyor of love and compassion. And much more.

(He was) a natural leader, a visionary, a successful businessman, a football lover, and a good servant to Jamaica.

Behind a tough appearance was a man (of) kindness, a man who have become a part of my life and I will miss hearing him call me 'Big coach'. He was not a perfect man, no one is, but to me he was top of the line and he will be greatly missed,said Simoes, who wept openly throughout the top of the line service for a top of came out to pay their last respects to one of the game's most dynamic personalities, for the suave Burrell made scored in high and low places.

CONCACAF president, Canadian Victor Montagliani, in his tribute, remembered Burrell's unshakeable love for family.

One of the last conversations I had with Captain Burrell was in Aruba, and I said to him 'Captain you should be proud you have a great family and great kids', and he said to me, 'Vic it is not all about cups, it is about family.' And so through all the work and dedication and appreciation for football, he never forgot that the real world cup was his family, Montagliani noted.

Today (yesterday), I stand before you on behalf of the FIFA president and on behalf of the 41 nations of CONCACAF, we are here not only to mourn the loss of a great man and a great friend, but also to celebrate the great accomplishments.

He was a great football visionary, not only within our region, but in FIFA as well. We will take as victory his years of service to the game and the football family... (we) thank Captain Burrell for his extraordinary passion for the sport and for his tremendous work to capture the fans or to discover new talent, the Canadian added.

Meanwhile, US Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati hailed Burrell as a pioneer of Jamaica's football.

We have been friends for a long time, and competitors on the field with our teams for a long time so it's a big loss for Jamaica and the football community. I think he almost single-handedly took the sport to a higher level in Jamaica, and in many ways in the CFU (Caribbean Football Union). He was relentless [and] had a great vision for the sport, and also on top of all that, he was an extraordinary family man. So football as indeed lost a giant, said the American.